Saturday, July 23, 2011

Journal 5/MI

DUNCAN, A. (2011, JUNE/JULY). Harnessing the power of technology. LEARNING AND LEADING WITH TECHNOLOGY, 38(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-june-july-2011.aspx

Teachers are on the frontline of the technology transformation.  It is so important that we start to understand technology as something that should be woven throughout our curriculum rather than as a separate entity.  Long gone are the days of Commodore 64's and Oregon Trail.  Technology is not just meant for the weekly computer lab session.  We have the ability to wield technology in our everyday classes to help reinforce traditional lessons, to educate our students in something that has and will continue to have real life value, and also to engage our students.  Technology has the power to individualize lessons based on students needs or development.  Teachers just have to be able to identify the needs and use the technology appropriately for these needs.  The US department of Education is helping shape the technology transformation with three main goals:  1. New standards for technology in the classrooms and changing the way we do assessments.  2. Connecting teachers with social media and other technology.  3. Making technology accessible in all classrooms.

Will the Department of Education continue to put money into technology and the expansion of broadband capability in the classrooms of America?

I certainly hope that development of technology continues to be prioritized.  Things are very unsettled in these current economic times.  I still believe that an argument could be made for the improvement of technology in classrooms.  The cost will ultimately be worthwhile.  Students and teachers will be able to keep up with the times and costs could even by cut down by reducing use of textbooks and paper products.

What would I do, as a teacher, if I took a job in a school with virtually no computers or technology at my disposal?

If I found myself in this position, I would try to organize assistance from the community.  People always are purchasing new computer and need to get rid of their old ones.  I would try to have a computer donation drive and make possible repairs and upgrades to these older units.  In addition, other fund raisers could be organized to help purchase other needed goods.  Hopefully I do not find myself in that situation but I would do my best to make sure I can include technology in my classroom at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment